Friday, June 17, 2011

FULL FIGURE FASHION WEEK 2011!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



To all my fatshionistas, plus size fashion bloggers, and fellow curvy girls.. HAPPY FULL FIGURE FASHION WEEK. The 3rd Annual FFFW kicked off yesterday, June 16th and will run until Sunday, the 18th in where else but NYC! The event-filled weekend is already sold out so don't even waste your time trying to find tickets. I've even heard some talk about fake tickets floating around (yes, it's that serious haha) Founder of FFFW, Gwen DeVoe recently caught up with Glamour.com to talk about what makes the week special and her hopes for the future of plus size fashion. Check it out.



STF: What prompted you to start full figured fashion week? Do you think plus size women should have an entirely separate set of fashion shows, or do you hope to one day see more full-figured women on regular runways?
GD: After attending my first official Fashion Week event under the tents in NYC, I realized that no matter how much I loved the line, I could not buy it because the pieces did not come in my size. I do not think it is entirely necessary for the plus size fashion industry to have separate shows, but creating them sends the message that plus size consumers are tired of not being "invited to the party", so to speak, and if they cannot join the party, we'll create a party for them. I definitely look forward to the day when fuller figures are represented in all fashion showcases.
STF: There has been some recent discussion that using full-figured models on regular runways is a "fad." Do you agree? Do you think any exposure for full-figured models is positive, or are some of them being exploited by designers for their size? 
GD: I definitely do not think it is a fad and give kudos to all designers who have featured fuller figures in their showcases. It was a positive and powerful message; one that I hope continues. I consider all exposure and press regarding full figured models an opportunity to highlight this very under-served, yet highly profitable, industry. Plus size consumers can't get enough of seeing clothes worn on body types that they can relate to.
STF: Are things looking better or worse for plus size fashion than they were five years ago?
GD: I think that things are definitely looking up. In just three years, I have uncovered several indie designers across the nation. They're out there, they just need assistance in spreading the word to the consumers.
STF: What do you ultimately hope to accomplish with FFFweek?
GD: I want FFFWeek to continue to succeed in bridging the gap between plus size consumers and designers/retailers by providing a professional venue that showcases the latest fashion trends.
STF: How did you arrive at the name?
GD: It was either Full Figured Fashion Week or Plus Size Fashion Week - I went with FFFWeek because I liked the sound of it, it is easy to remember and FFFWeek is an excellent hashtag!
STF: Do you think there's a stigma around the term "plus size," or are you fine with it?
GD: I am fine with it. And I agree with a lot of my colleagues that the recent attempts to eliminate the term "plus size" is an appalling effort to marginalize plus size consumers. From a business perspective, plus size consumers react positively to ads and catalogs that feature plus size models in them. Plus size consumers are loyal customers whose buying power should no longer be taken for granted.
STF: Speaking of, there is some debate or cloudiness in the market about what constitutes "plus size." As an expert, what's your definition? What size does it begin at?
GD: When I think of "plus size", I think of someone with a curvier body and usually wearing a size 14 and up. Sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint because there are so many different body types, which can make women look bigger or smaller than they actually are. For instance, a size 14 that is 5'9" may appear to be much smaller.



For more information about FFFW and it's events, visit http://fffweek.com

No comments: